Top Krop Fertilizers was started in 2013 by Warren Hanson and some other investors after seeing first hand what the Kugler products were capable of on his own farm near Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.

Warren was struggling with excess moisture (20-40” per year) from 2009 to 2013. He knew with each 1” of rain that his nitrogen was leaching further down in the soil, away from his plants. This led him to try and stage his fertility, so he started with dribbling on 28-0-0, but that led to burning the crop and made it more susceptible to disease.

In 2013, he heard about the Kugler non-burning formula and gave it a try. That year, while others around him were getting 0-5 bushels/acre on their canola, Warren was able to get 32 bushels/acre, making it obvious to him that you can feed the plant from the top, as well as, the roots.

As it turns out, he would have been better off financially that year to let crop insurance write it off because they guaranteed a 35 bushel/acre yield!

Once they saw what the Kugler product could do, he took the opportunity to become a distributor and started Top Krop Fertilizers.

In 2018, Flaman Group of Companies purchased Top Krop. Flamans have been serving the Ag industry for 60 years and are excited at the product line-up Top Krop has and how it can benefit farmers, not only financially, but also as good stewards of the land.

Frequently Asked Questions

There have been many questions asked about Kugler KQXRN Based Foliar Fertilizers since Top Krop began representing the technology. Following are the most salient points regarding KQXRN Slow Release Technology.

Number 1.
Foliar plant nutrition is not new. It has been documented as early as 1844 and has been an integral part of farming since then. In a 1952 U.S. Congressional hearing, Dr. Tukey of Michigan State University in conjunction with the Atomic Energy Commission proved that Aqueous Urea as a foliar source of Nitrogen absorbed 100% into plant leaves in less than 18 hours by using attached Radioisotopes. The Urea source of Nitrogen is the basis for KQXRN technology.

Number 2.
KQXRN is a Slow Release 28% Nitrogen Polymeric material referred to as Polymethylene Urea Triazone, that when applied to plant leaves simply will not burn your crop. The question always arises ͞how can liquid Urea or 28% UAN not burn͟. Answer: KQXRN is different. The Polymer is a 72% Slow Release material with the remaining 28% in an oligomeric form. All of the Urea is polymerized and not available to burn the leaves. The 72% Polymer breaks down into leaf absorbable components over a 4-6-week period in the presence of UV light, hence the slow release definition. The 28% Oligomers are immediately available for plant nutrition. KQXRN sticks to the leaf and is rain fast in one hour. When delivered, it is a clear viscous liquid that contains no water, just Polymer and Oligomers.

Number 3.
There are approximately 3 pounds of Nitrogen per gallon of KQXRN, so how does it foliar feed so well? Answer: The most important time for application is transition between vegetative and reproductive stages during plant growth. There is a canopy at that stage and 80% gets onto the leaf, very little on the ground. Absorption occurs in the polar cuticular pores in the leaves. Cuticular pore absorption is extremely efficient, much more so that through root absorption. Other foliar products such as Fungicides and Herbicides can be mixed with KQXRN and are absorbed more efficiently through the leaf.Salts, which normally will not foliar feed, when mixed with KQXRN and its downstream products will foliar feed at the same rate as KQXRN.

Number 4.
KQXRN and its downstream products, KS2075, KS1022, KS1410, KQXRN 2530, and KS178C (all containing KQXRN as all or some of the Nitrogen component) are all extremely low salt index materials, should be applied at least twice during the growing season, virtually any time a pass is made over a crop field with Herbicides and Fungicides and at vegetative to reproductive transition. 1-2 gallons per acre is the recommended application rate per pass. None of the products will gum up a sprayer, none will corrode equipment, and most will overwinter (check product handling guide).